Tuesday, December 20, 2011

History Poster Essay

For my history poster project I decided to commemorate an individual that has influenced me. For this, I chose Quentin Tarantino (mainly focusing on his directing).  Knowing that I was going to do the poster on him, it was easy to choose my style of design to commemorate him best. I chose to do the poster on modernism. I chose this particular style of design because I felt it was the best way to teach the audience about Quentin Tarantino. I projected the style of modernism in the poster project in many ways including; the use of color, simplicity, and typography. For my use of color, I wanted to display an ironic balance between beauty and emotionless. I made most of the poster in gray scale while the gun and the explosion were in bright colors. I did this because I wanted to show that although Tarantino shows a dark, dismal side, he has a creative mind and shows it well in his works. I also portrayed this sense of balance with the typography. I used 2 different types of font. For the majority of the text I used a structured, straight-edged font while I used a hand-written cursive text for his name.
My project conforms to the rule of thirds in many ways. Everything on the poster puts emphasis on the lines of the rule of thirds. I also used a strong sense of alignment. I aligned the paragraphs of the text with the title of the particular films. I also aligned all of the text to conform to the shape of the illustrated Quentin Tarantino. I also used the other principles that we learned in the first project in my history poster project. I used the concept of emphasis with the use of color in the illustration. I also put emphasis on the titles of the films by using bold, larger font. I applied the use of balance with the sense of negative space. I did not fill in all the gaps, instead I used negative space to bring a sense of simplicity to the project. Contrast can be seen in the project by the use of gray scale and opacity in the text and the background of the name. I used flow in the conformity of the text to the Quentin Tarantino illustration. I used repetition in the use of consistency among the different films in the way that they were bulleted.

No comments:

Post a Comment